Friday, August 31, 2007

Everything Old...

I remember the beaches. Behind them old homes stood, old wood and brick houses that had been in their place since before I was born, before my mother was born, some before my mother's mother was born. There were old stores that had ice cream in old freezers, old restaurants with old menus and old staff that remembered your name. There were old toy stores, where I still remember grabbing tickets that represented video games and bringing them to this little window to retrieve the actual object of my desire. Old video games like Chrono Trigger and old Lego sets with space police. There were old trees and old streets and old parking lots. There were views of the ocean and fireworks in the summer. There were old gas stations and old familiar signs that led the way to the same old turns and the same old roads.

There were a lot of old things. Change is an inevitable part of life, and the things you remember are bound to transform and disappear as time goes on. But all the old things are gone.

And that's a shame.

Biloxi
08-29-05

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Clay... you have always been good with words, and something about the way you convey images and thoughts really draws the reader into a strangely familiar world filled with strangely familiar feelings and memories. Its very accessible and very inviting.

I could see you blogging away in a column in a newspaper, and Im quite certain it would have a reader base.

Original topics, great expression - well written!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't quite sure exactly what post of yours to comment on. As soon as I read the first, my eye was lead to read the second, then the third, and finally all of them. Which one exactly had entranced me the most? Alas, I chose the most obvious post to comment on, in the hopes that you will see this.

I love your writing. There are few things more wonderful in this world than to discover someone who writes in such an engaging, beautiful manner. And that's not even mentioning the topics you choose to write about. I wish I knew you in real life, you seem like the sort of person I'd love to talk to.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

robin thicke's music music group production in color
bellas lullaby music sheet piano andre previn music royalty free james bond music buy music broadcasting history
three b's music

Anonymous said...

Смотри видеоклип
Fools Garden Lemon Tree - SKAMP TV

Anonymous said...

tami chynn music lyrics music theraphy for stress reliving
marcos witt music lyrics com country music chord pride and prejudice movie sheet music 80 s hip-hop music
ipod music nano player

Anonymous said...

lady mamalade music video top gospel music of 2009
girls danceing naked to music liricks jug band music copyright free use hawaiian music rocky mountain music tab
music for maypole dancing

Anonymous said...

missouri auto insurance This is certainly my initial stop by and I really like what I'm seeing. Your weblog is so much fun to look over, quite compelling as well as informative. I'll undoubtedly recommend it to my friends. Nevertheless, I did have some problem with the commenting. It kept giving me an problem whenever I clicked on publish comment. I hope, that can be fixed. Many thanks Jason - texas auto insurance